Mosquito Treatment FAQs:
Here are some common questions we encounter about mosquito control and treatment:
Is this treatment safe for pets?
Of course! We have two dogs that are part of our family and we would never put them, or yours at risk. The pesticide industry has come a long way since the days of highly toxic chemicals. We use pesticides that have the least amount of toxicity to humans, pets and other mammals and birds. We also always notify you when we have treated your yard so that everyone, pets included, can stay indoors while the treatment dries.
With regular treatments your pets can romp the yard freely without worry of fleas or ticks.
What about the bees?
It is best for everyone if the bees are not harmed. Avoiding high pollenation areas and using chemicals that cannot be carried back to the hive are a few of the steps we take to ensure we do not harm the bee population. We also always avoid flowering and edible plants, as required by federal law.
How long (after a treament) until I can go outside?
Once the chemical dries you are good to go! A specific time is hard to say because the drying process is affected by many environmental conditions. To be safe, during humid months, we like to give it about one hour before venturing into the great outdoors.
How does it affect the eco-system?
We often hear from people who dislike mosquitoes but worry about the impact the pest industry has on our eco-system. As a pesticide license holder with many years of experience and hours of continuing education in the field, we are happy to share some facts about the pesticide industry and our service. To start, the industry is heavily regulated and we must all adhere to strict standards from the state and EPA. The product we use to treat for mosquitoes is a water based chemical derived from the chrysanthemum flower. This product is also the least readily absorbed-through-the skin product on the market and has never shown any signs of health issues in children or adults. It also is the least likely to leach in to the ground water and is the least harmful to birds. All pesticides are toxic. So is Windex and cedar oil for that matter. The trick here is that we are using the product properly and safely.
Additionally, we are not allowed to use a fogger to apply the product when winds are over 10mph in order to eliminate drift. When in the hands of an experienced professional who is abiding by the heavily regulated laws of the product label, there is very minimal risk of significant harm to the ecosystem.
How is this service different from what the county does?
To start, we are a privately operated family-run business. Our trained team members treat individual properties with a diligent application process to ensure your yard is as bite free as possible. When the county sprays during the summer, they are mainly focused on treating thousands of acres at a time. They typically drive through certain areas of town with high mosquito populations spraying as they drive down the street. The product they use for urban areas is mixed so that it only kills mosquitoes that are in the path of the truck and it only lasts a couple hours. To us it seems much wiser to have someone in control of the product applying it diligently, rather than blasting it out of the back of a truck. In addition to being trained in how to apply the product in all types of yards, we also have regulations we are proud to follow. For example, we are not allowed to use a fogger to apply the product when winds are over 10mph in order to eliminate drift. Our application acts as a barrier for your property, keeping mosquitoes at bay throughout the entire season.